Houston Chinese Alliance (HCA) is pleased to announce the 2019 annual legislative essay contest. The winning essays will be published on HCA website to honor the participants. Participants’ efforts may count as volunteer hours at HCA.
Greater Houston area school students with Chinese heritage from Grade K to 12.
Varsity Level (Grade 9 to 12)
Essay Topic : HCR88 ( https://legiscan.com/TX/bill/HCR88/2019) Urging Congress to pass stricter gun laws, including a ban on the sale of assault weapons. Do you support or oppose the bill? Please do your own research and write an essay to support your opinion.
Essay requirements: 500-800 words (not including title and references)
Awards: Monetary awards for top Varsity Level essays (for both sides of the argument) will be offered:
- $300 for 1st place
- $200 for 2nd place
- $100 for 3rd place
Booster Level (Grade K to 8)
Essay Topic : Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang said this in twitter: “We came up with the SAT during World War II to determine who to keep from the frontlines. Now every year is wartime. We should deemphasize standardized tests and evaluate kids more holistically.” (https://mobile.twitter.com/andrewyang/status/1181967264167448582?lang=en)
Do you agree or disagree with him? Please do your own research and write an essay to support your opinion.
Essay requirements: less than 500 words (not including title and references)
Awards: $20 for each winning participant (top 3 on both sides)
Essay format requirement for both levels:
- Essay Language: English
- File Type: Your essay should be submitted as a word .doc or .docx file
- Font: Please use Times New Roman font, 12 pt font size.
- Spacing: Double spaced.
- References: Your essay must include a list of at least three references which you consulted. These references can be from printed or online sources.
- Style Guide: You may use either the MLA, Chicago or APA style manual for citations and reference formatting.
- Do: Please fill out the application form and sign the waiver by yourself and your legal guardian, and make sure to send it back with the essay.
- Don’t: Please do NOT type in your name within the essay, or in any other way convey or imply your personal identity in the essay, as all essays will be rated anonymously.
Judging criteria for both levels:
- 30% writing skills and grammar;
- 35% arguments;
- 35% research and supporting data.
Deadline for submission: January 10, 2020 ( Results of the contest will be announced in February 2020)
Reading material: How A Bill Becomes A Law In Texas (https://house.texas.gov/about-
Sincere Thanks to 2019 HCA Legislative Essay Contest Sponsors:
- AIG Financial Network Lucy Zhao
- SpiderSmart Bellaire & Memorial Center